Rafique ponders T20 pullout

Monday, August 6, 2007

Veteran left-arm spinner Mohammad Rafique may pull out of the Bangladesh’s Twenty20 World Cup squad due to some personal problems, said the player on Sunday.
Rafique, who is in the Bangladesh’s 30-member preliminary squad, has been nursing a rib injury since he returned from Sri Lanka after playing the Test series against the hosts.
He did not appear in the subsequent one-day series to stay with his ailing son, who had been suffering from a urinary tract infection and needed to get circumcised.
‘My son is recovering gradually. But I am not very
sure about the recovery of my injury.
I visited a doctor at the Apollo Hospital in Dhaka on July 18. He advised me to take rest for at least 25 days,’ said Rafique.
Injury is not the only problem that forced the left-arm spinner to ponder Twenty20 pullout. The current flood situation in the country also compelled him to give a rethink on the tournament starting in South Africa on September 11.
‘My house is still free from the flood water, but it is at risk. Water is all around my house and it is difficult for me to play cricket leaving my family in such a situation,’ he said.
The Bangladesh Cricket Board is due to announce the final squad for the Twenty20 World Cup on August 9.
When contacted, chief selector Faruque Ahmed said he has no idea about the injury
condition of Rafique and his possible withdrawal from the squad.
‘I don’t know anything about it. Maybe he informed the board about his problem.
‘I don’t want to make any comment at this point,’ Faruque told New Age.

0 comments: