Tigers T20 World Cup hopes and dreams

Monday, August 27, 2007




Bangladesh fly to South Africa on Wed-nesday to take part in the inaugural ICC Twen-ty20 World Cup, which will be held from September 11 to 26. Before departing the players spoke about their hopes and dreams ahead of the competition during the �meet the press� session at the Mirpur Sher-e-Bangla National Stadium on Monday.
Shaun Williams (coach): Finally our batting has clicked in the warm-up match, which is a good sign. Until today (Monday), we were struggling with the batting. In the World Cup we need to score 150/160 which is a minimum. If we can do slight better, I mean score 170/180, I think we have a good chance.
Mohammad Ashraful (captain): We have trained two weeks for the tournament. The first week we spent time at the commando camp and the second week was on the field playing matches. Both the practices were useful. The batsmen started to get back into the runs, which was the case today (Monday). As time goes by, I hope they will get better. Our aim is to play in the second round and to do it we have to beat either South Africa or West Indies, which I think is not impossible. We have defeated South Africa in the World Cup, so we can do it again. We have a very young team as you see the average age is just 21. I think this will be a plus point for us.
Mashrafee bin Murtaza (vice-captain): When we went to play in the 50-over World Cup, we were confident of beating any side on any given day. It will be same in Twenty20 Cup. To make things happen, we just need to play our natural game. It is more of an entertaining form of the game, so everybody wants to enjoy it. Still, I think there is no room to take it easy. I am not too concerned about wickets.
Alok Kapali: I�ve recently changed my batting style slightly in order to score runs quickly. I applied the technique in the last Premier League and National League and was rewarded. It is a great motivation for me to do well in the Twenty20 World Cup.
Abdur Razzak: Yes, Twenty20 cricket is a bit risky for the bowlers as they get hardly any time to recover if they make any mistakes. At the same time, I think bowlers do have some chance to make serious impact in a game. I don�t think being the leading spinner of the side for the first time in the absence of Rafiq Bhai (Mohammad Rafique), will create any extra pressure on me.
Aftab Ahmed: Twenty20 cricket is not as easy for the batsman. Sometimes it is difficult to play strokes right from the beginning of the innings. In one-day cricket, batsmen get five to six overs to get settled, but it is not the case in Twenty20 matches.

Syed Rasel: I know this new type of cricket is considered more of a batsman�s game, but I am only concerned about my bowling. My main weapon is swing, which I think could be useful in any form of the game.
Farhad Reza: Being an all-rounder I think I can contribute with both bat and ball. I think an all-rounder is always very handy for a side. It gives the captain some more options in the bowling department.
Mushfiqur Rahim: I am confident about doing well in the Twenty20 game as well. If I can play Test and one-day, then why I can�t I play in Twenty20s? It is a very good opportunity to show my potential.
Sakib al Hasan: On our day we can beat any side because we have now that ability. I am happy about our preparation.
Tamim Iqbal: I did not play too many Twenty20 games, which is one of the reasons for me to take some time before starting to score runs in the warm-up matches. I know that some people are saying that I have changed my batting style, but I haven�t.
Mahmudullah Riyad: I have played just one one-day game so far, but I don�t think I am quite inexperienced. I played domestic Twenty20 cricket and also played in the warm-up matches. I hope it will help me.
Nadif Chowdhury: I have been picked as a batsman in the side. So whatever I want to do, I have to do it with the bat. True that my spin bowling is prohibited (for flawed action), but now I am practising pace bowling.
Nazimuddin: Normally I prefer to open the innings, but I can bat at number three. I have the courage to hit the ball hard.
Junaed Siddique: I was struggling to get runs in the initial warm-up matches, but now I have recovered. I will try to help the team with all my ability.
Ziaur Rahman: Yes, I was also surprised after getting a call up into the Twenty20 World Cup squad. I will definitely try my best to help the team. Being a bowler I never rely too much on pace. My main weapon are my out-swingers.

0 comments: